Sunday, May 3, 2009

Rainy Sunday makes me homesick









If you can tell that any of my plants look like they have grown at all-please give me some encouragement! As you can see above, I made a wish for each and every one of them. It has been raining all night and day here.  Yesterday was more on and off though, and I was able to plant my warm weather veggies! I'm sure my neighbors thought I was nuts out there praying to the heavens when the thunder started just to hold off a bit longer. I did get my tomatoes, peppers, herbs, zinnias, and squash in the ground though. Whew! The weather report says that the low this week should only be in the 50s, so I decided to go for it. Now, I am just waiting on the corn seeds to come in the mail from Uncle Hughey and I'll be done with the planting! 

I have to admit that yesterday was a bit challenging. I struggled with what to buy, how far to dig, how to make a hill to plant the squash in, and when it was all done and as I was looking over it, I sort of, well, panicked. What if I didn't do it right? What if nothing grows? What if I didn't follow the directions correctly from The Idiot's Guide to Vegetable Planting? All of this nonsense put me into a fitful mood and I have been wishing for my mother and aunt's wisdom ever since.  Just like a child, I want someone to assure me that like life, you gotta jump in there, move forward, and see what happens. Some things work out, some plants grow, some die just like some of our hopes and expectations, but some of them live and thrive and turn out to boasts their huge fruits. If just one of my little seedlings do that, I will be ecstatic! I guess it is not totally ironic that even in my garden I have to be patient. My generation wants everything to happen immediately: great job, plenty of money, unconditional love all of the time from everyone we meet. If I can be patient with myself through this life, I surely can wait 55-80 days for the tomato plants to produce fruit! 

On another note, I have to mention that I just happened to be helping a member out at the gym with her exercises and ends up that she manages the nursery where I went to buy my lettuce, spinach, broccoli, and cauliflower after I had a complete break down at Lowe's. What a blessing she was to me yesterday! I know none of you could imagine me being pushy. I mean, going into her office, begging for help for a "first time gardner" and asking her to speed it up because the black cloud outside was making me nervous...well, at least I did offer her a free personal training session! All jokes aside, without her, I would have been lost and am thankful that our paths happen to cross.

For now, I will let the rain soak my new plants and finally get to that cleaning since I am forced to be indoors today. Not near as exciting as the garden, but absolutely necessary!

1 Comments:

At May 3, 2009 at 11:09 AM , Blogger Barbara said...

Erin, Jerry McCaffery told me one time that plants don't have a soul. If they don't do good or you don't like them just throw them away. Don't stress over the plants! I'M just glad HE is not like that and never throws us away. I can tell your plants have grown. You have talked to them very well. You know that helps. I say "good morning and good night" to mine every day. I'm going to take a nap and let the rain take care of my plants and you do the same. Iam so glad you are gardening.
Love, Mom

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home