Wednesday, November 11, 2009

We are Family. All my brotha, sistas, and me.

During this year of my life, I have learned so many life lessons. A very important one rings true in my life tonight: ask for help! Why is it SO hard to ask for help from family and friends but I have no problem asking a stranger on the street how to get to the nearest metro?

I am SO thankful today for my father's support and my roommates chili. After a sleepless night full of anxiety about regular annoyances of life, my stomach now feels calm because I admitted that I need help in selling my car and I allowed myself to ask my roommate for a raincheck (literally pouring in DC today) on the bean soup I promised and eat her chili instead. Chili and cookies and even Irish coffee if I wanted it. Asking for help even worked with my boss. This is a tricky one-wanting to earn trust that you can handle every situation thrown at you, but knowing when to throw your hands up and say HELP! This week has shown me that 99% of the time, it has helped.

I hope one day I do the same for my family and friends. What I wouldn't give to buy my dad whatever he wants! Today, I am not so concerned with wishing we could see eye to eye on things that seem so important at times, as I am thankful to have a strong tree to lean against and take a breath. Last night while chatting with my new boss about our backgrounds and family, I described my family as "colorful minus the alcohol". Trying to make the point that although our family get-togethers are totally dry, it still always seems to be plenty of loud laughter, not to mention good cookin'. She responded, "Yeah, I can see that. You are very colorful." Not even sure what that means, but I think she's right. And, I kinda like it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home