Monday, May 18, 2009

Tweet Tweet from a real bird

What amazing things you can see on a breezy cool Monday afternoon! I decided the only exercise that I could talk myself into was to do laps around the neighborhood. Imagine the comments you get when you are walking one lap, running, walking, running, walking. It reminded me of running the straights and walking the curves at track practice. When I breathed in the air it smelled and tasted like the 800 meter race I would wait all day to run at the track meet. On my laps around I smelled the honey suckles and remembered my friend Robbie teaching Alli and I how to pick em and suck the sweetness out of the middle of 'em. Mmmm.  I also met two of my neighbors Lou and Katie. Katie, Lou's 14 year old Golden Retriever, is barely hanging on. I had so much compassion for this stranger losing his dearest companion. Sighhhhh.

I also saw this beautiful fuchsia flower on one of my rounds and I even slowed down to gawk- mouthed wide open-at its bright color. I have no idea what it is. A tall stem and huge snow ball like blooms but spikier. 

And can you believe my adventures aren't over yet? Mrs. Robin has decided to build her nest right on top of my outdoor light. She actually stands there, looks at James (the neighbor's cat) and me, and tries to stare us down. I pull James over to the other edge of the lawn and pretend like I don't care if she lands on the nest and warms those poor little babies up. But one wrong move and she's off again. I only managed to reach up and snap a pic of the eggs, which I had to see to believe. It's too tall for me to actually see in there, so my camera was the only option without getting too close. I remembered reading a story when I was little that said not to get to close to the bird's nest or the mom will smell your scent and abandon them in the middle of the night. Is this true? Funny how some things stick with you for life.

On a complete random note: I have to point out that in the midst of this natural bliss, my next door neighbors have been blasting the first two songs on Beyonce's new CD for three straight days. This is quite humorous not only because I also have a warm place in my heart for Beyonce's Single Ladies, but because my neighbors are deaf. Seriously, no joke.


3 Comments:

At May 19, 2009 at 12:02 PM , Blogger Tiffany said...

Love love love your blog...still found a moment in hectic moving/settling in/prepping my first ever class I teach on your BIRTHDAY, but made my way here and am happy for it :)

 
At May 22, 2009 at 8:02 AM , Blogger Barbara said...

Great

 
At May 22, 2009 at 8:04 AM , Blogger Barbara said...

Well, mabye i've got this figured out. The bird eggs are beautiful. Nothing is better for the soul than watching the things that God gives us just because He loves us.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home