Saturday, January 16, 2010

Pouring my heart out on the corner of Connecticut


Last night as my friend and I were on our way to our separate homes and about to part ways, she asked me a simple question: "Did you like the book Eat, Pray, Love?" As you may have guessed, I can never give a brief answer to a simple question. So, right there on the corner, I told her why I will always have a special place in my mind for E.G.'s memoir. I recalled the story that Liz tells about recognizing herself again in the mirror. It's been a while since I've read the book, but I remember it goes something like: she looked up and saw this person laughing and smiling in the mirror and truly did not recognize that it was herself. Why? Because she looked happy. She was smiling. She was carefree. She herself...not "herself again", but a new self. A better self. A more confident self. I shared with my friend who so patiently listened to my story, that one day I heard myself laughing out loud and I was like, "What WAS that?" I started laughing and I couldn't stop. I laughed so hard I couldn't breathe! My new kitty had never heard this before and was quite frightened. Oh, to laugh again! To feel again. To get upset again. To love again. I wish I could say that my daily life is peaceful and perfect because I am constantly reminding myself to be thankful for the daily blessings of living among friends with more opportunities to laugh, but I get frustrated. I complain about the stupid people at work and about how my boss drives me crazy with using two question marks after every question she asks me in email: "How's the December monthly report coming Erin??" "I don't know. Why don't you give me a second to catch my breath after teaching an hour long spin class and I'll get back to you??" How does daily living distract us so much from long-term, more meaningful realizations that we are too quick to forget? Today as I sit here in my green chair with my cat on my lap, I am thankful that he tolerates my laptop on top of him, that I can look out my open window, feel the breeze and hear the birds sing their songs of thanksgiving for the warmer weather. I am thankful for my mom's recipe for White Chicken Chili and for the two friends on their way over to share it with. I am thankful for exciting thoughts of a new friend who will call when he gets back in town on Monday. I am thankful for my friend Gordon who showed me around my new neighborhood last night and endured my complaints and shared honest advice. Oh! So much to be thankful for. Hopefully I will remember all of this next time I start to have a complete breakdown because the person next to me on the metro is being WAY to chatty for 6 o'clock in the morning!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home