Sunday, January 24, 2010

The Perfect Relationship



I don't think I could love anything more than my cat. After all, he sure loves me. He doesn't care if I have yucky phlegm from my sinus infection that has lasted for more than ten days now and I have to keep blowing my nose and leave my tissues lying around all over the place. He doesn't care if I ignore him all weekend and only cries when I'm gone, according to my roommate. I guess he does play a little hard to get. When I laid down today for my Sunday nap, I had to BEG him to join me. But, in the end, he always assures me. He sniffed around and tiptoed up on the bed and after about ten minutes of him acting like he wasn't going to stay-he plopped right down and slept on my hand and didn't move until I woke up. The PERFECT codependent relationship. Later, when I had to get stuff done, he didn't mind. I mean, his loud snores coming from under the bed were a bit distracting, but if that's my only complaint, it could be worse right? OK-I do feel a bit guilty since it is probably my fault that he snores. According to all of my friends, he is massively obese. Maybe we should get him one of those breathing machines? Or maybe I should stop feeling guilty when I don't give him enough attention and stop feeding him treats to make up for it.

Lately, he's been doing this thing where if I walk by, he'll reach out his paw and give me a little love pat and then we'll chase each other around the room until he gets plum worn out from all of the exertion. AND, he's been fetching again. Well, by fetching, I mean, I throw his blue toy dog against the wall and he falls on top of it.

Yep. Perfect. He loves me the way I am and I love him. Except for one tiny thing: a few minutes ago when we had finished our nightly routine of me taking a bubble bath and him sitting outside of the bathroom door until I'm done, something happened. I was all nice and clean and walked over to put my towel away and-yuck! WHAT did I just step in? O.K., yes. I bought the cat litter yesterday but haven't changed it out yet. Who knew? Codependent Cash is a passive aggressive communicator! He left that little bit of cat s**t by the couch just to let me know that he doesn't appreciate this neglect.

Ok, I know. What is the lesson in all of this nonsense tonight?

#1: Communication is key. If he would have just told me that he doesn't feel loved and appreciated when I don't clean the litter, then we could have avoided me having to take two baths in less than 10 minutes and now my skin is as dry as a stick.

#2: Compromise. Sometimes, you gotta put up with a little bit of shit to get a whole lotta love.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home